Thursday, May 1, 2014

Clearing the Path

The goal of this project was to adaptively reuse the North Pacific Railroad Depot and to newly incorporate three different spaces; an art gallery, a residence and an artist’s studio. The completely renovated space's design must accommodate for the visual impaired spouse who would also be a resident. The artist’s studio has to be functional use of space for the their work as well as incorporate universal design throughout the space. The artist I chose to design for was Martin Blank, a glass blower in Seattle, WA. The gallery must consist of an universal design while also including an ADA bathroom while still using the depots existing structure to portray his art work in the highest fashion.

Without an inspiration object there is no concept development or ideas that can be formed for the design. By visiting the Northern Pacific Railroad Depot I was able to be in the explore thephysical space that I would be renovating and understand the impression of the surrounding atmosphere. There was so much detail and histroric features within the interior but I wanted to focus on the main component of the depot, which I believed was the train. There are so many elements to the train itself which caused me to go even deeper with my concept. Smoke came as an inspiration due to the overall fact that the train’s name was the Pufferbelly. That was an imidiate connection but incorporating the historic value of the train led me to include the concept of movement and change that was associated with this object. This would soon influence the overall design.


When first starting the renovation process, the interior is a blank canvas and can be formed to adapt to any new atmosphere. The client values the historic character of the depot and it was required that the design repsect the historic aspect of the structure and property. All of the exterior walls would be stationary which created a very difficult challenge of space restrictions and layouts. Before thinking of the furniture and window treatments I first had to complete bubble diagrams to determine the space designated for each area. This required me to figure how I wanted each space set up; continuously thinking about flow, use and function.

Once adding color, gradiants and visual texture to my parti design I had come to a completed design. The next step was to develop the textile pattern through use of graphic exploration that would still correlate to my concept. This textile pattern would be incorporated into the overall design in at least one sufficient area. This required a great deal of different placements, rotations and adjustments of the small parti. This was enjoyable but a little diffficult due to the almost infinite arrangements possible. Through much exploration I came to a finalized pattern that was able to incorporate my concept while creating additional components. I was able to take these different components of the parti and incorporate them throughout the design.


Once I had chosen my inspiration object I was to then begin the abstract exploration. This included completing an object analysis using sketch techniques exploring different elements of my inspiration object and portraying them using design elements and principles. These small sketches are supposed to assist in portraying my 3-D object in a small abstract 2-D sketch. This step must accommodate for the concept of the design with abstract design elements and principles.  During this process I continuously came to a halt due to my too literal interpretation of my object rather than an abstract approach. I would have to step back and think about what aspects of my object first sparked my interest. An abstract exploration will vary from person to person, these sketches are to free the mind and to start thinking in a different perspective.

The aesthetic appeal is the first impression to a client when entering the newly renovated space. This is a challenge in itself, but incorporating other required needs created additional obstacles. The entire residential space must be designed to accommodate for the visually impaired spouse incoporating several aspects of universal design. The residential has to be functional and safe for the client while still incorporating my concept. This was accompished through the use of contrasting colors and materials to assist in the ability to distinguish different areas. I was able to design a safely furnished residence due to the Egress plan that depict all of the necessary clearances and other building codes required for this establishment.


I believe that my design work has improved greatly throughout each step throughout this semester. My ability to think in an abstract state of mind has become easier leading me to explore more ideas. I have a continous self-battle due to my desire to keep the physical object visible throughout the design but at times I must take a different approach and just sketch what I feel from my object. Any thought can be incorporated successfully through proper planning and consideration. With time and understanding I have improved my rendered perspectives. This is a tremendously important technique when presenting to the client so they may get an accurate vision of the spaces designed for them. Visualizing what an entire room will look like with small samples is very difficult for most, and it would be my responsibility to correctly represent the materials and the individual spaces. Incorporating materials and colors within each space is slowly becoming a simpler act due to its importance. The interior’s aesthetics is just as important as the structural elements and due to the enormous range and constant new suply, it will take a great deal of practice before it becomes second nature.I also believe that my board assembly and compostion has evolved allowing my drawings and plans to be organized and presented in a manner that the client can understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment